To apply to the HIHIM program as a postbaccalaureate student, you must already have a bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. Postbaccalaureate status is reserved for students who are working toward a second bachelor's degree or preparing to apply to graduate or professional school.
Postbaccalaureate students must submit both a postbaccalaureate application and apply to the HIHIM program. We recommend that you begin your applications early; all materials must be submitted by the application deadlines.
Note: For students who already have a bachelor’s degree, we offer the Certificate in Health Infomatics & Health Information Management, which offers a similar curriculum.
The deadline for early acceptance is February 15, and the deadline for general acceptance is May 1. Applications must be postmarked by the deadline to be considered for that application period.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university in the United States, or its equivalent from a foreign institution
- Earned a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher in all college-level courses
- Earned a grade of 2.0 or higher in each prerequisite course and a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher for all prerequisite courses
Applicants to the HIHIM program must complete prerequisite courses in three subjects:
- statistics (4–5 credits)
- human anatomy and physiology (with lab preferred; 6 credits)
- medical terminology (3–5 credits)
Those who have completed all prerequisites by the time they apply will have priority in the admissions process. Find out which classes qualify as prerequisites for statistics, human anatomy and physiology and medical terminology.
How to Apply
Step One: Apply to the University of Washington
To apply to the UW, you must submit:
Send your completed UW application (including personal statement and fee) and transcripts to:
University of Washington
Office of Admissions
1410 NE Campus Parkway
Seattle, WA 98195-5852
Note that the application to the UW is specific to the HIHIM major. You must submit the application and pay the application fee even if you've already applied to UW Admissions for another major and paid an application fee.
Step Two: Apply to the HIHIM program
To apply to the HIHIM program, submit:
- HIHIM application form
- One official transcript from each college or university previously attended
- Statement of purpose (max. 500 words) that describes why you are interested in the HIHIM program in terms of your career goals, and includes why you think health informatics and information management are critical skills in health care
- Resume that highlights your relevant work or volunteer experience
Send the HIHIM application form, transcripts, statement of purpose and resume by priority mail to:
Health Informatics & Health Information Management
4333 Brooklyn Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98195-9455