International Transfer Students
International students interested in applying to the HIHIM program must apply both to the University of Washington and to the HIHIM program. We recommend that you begin your applications early; all materials must be submitted by the application deadlines.
The deadline for early acceptance is February 15, and the deadline for general acceptance is May 1. Applications must be postmarked by the deadline to be considered for that application period.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Completed at least 90 transferable quarter college credits or earned an associate degree of arts or sciences from an accredited college or university in the United States
- Completed a combined 12 years of primary and secondary school, equivalent to 12 years of school in the United States. The final four years of secondary school, equivalent to the 9th through 12th grades in the United States, must include adequate academic preparation in six College Academic Distribution Requirement (CADR) areas.
- Demonstrated English proficiency
- Displayed a history of strong academic performance
- Shown proof of sufficient funds for education in the United States
Applicants to the HIHIM program must complete prerequisite courses in three subjects:
- statistics (4–5 credits)
- human anatomy and physiology (with lab preferred; 6 credits)
- medical terminology (3–5 credits)
Those who have completed all prerequisites by the time they apply will have priority in the admissions process. Find out which classes qualify as prerequisites for statistics, human anatomy and physiology and medical terminology.
How to Apply
Step One: Apply to the University of Washington
To apply to the UW, you must submit:
Send your completed UW application (including personal statement and fee) and transcripts to:
University of Washington
Office of Admissions
1410 NE Campus Parkway
Seattle, WA 98195-5852 USA
Please be sure that the spelling of your name appears exactly the same on all correspondence and documents sent to the UW. Any discrepancy may cause a delay in processing your application.
Note that the application to the UW is specific to the HIHIM major. You must submit the application and pay the application fee even if you've already applied to UW Admissions for another major and paid an application fee.
Step Two: Apply to the HIHIM program
To apply to the HIHIM program, submit:
- HIHIM application form
- One official transcript from each college or university previously attended
- Statement of purpose (max. 500 words) that describes why you are interested in the HIHIM program in terms of your career goals, and includes why you think health informatics and information management are critical skills in health care
- Resume that highlights your relevant work or volunteer experience
Send the HIHIM application form, transcripts, statement of purpose and resume by priority mail to:
Health Informatics & Health Information Management
4333 Brooklyn Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98195-9455 USA