Current UW Students
If you are a current UW student, you need to apply to the HIHIM major only.
The deadline for early acceptance is February 15, and the deadline for general acceptance is May 1. Applications must be postmarked by the deadline to be considered for that application period.
Minimum Admission Requirements
- Completed a minimum of 90 quarter credits by May 1 of the year you plan to apply
- Earned a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher in all college-level courses
- Earned a grade of 2.0 or higher in each prerequisite course and a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher for all prerequisite courses
Applicants to the HIHIM major must complete prerequisite courses in three subjects:
- statistics (4–5 credits)
- human anatomy and physiology (with lab preferred; 6 credits)
- medical terminology (3–5 credits)
Applicants who have completed all prerequisites by the time they apply will have priority in the admissions process. Find out which classes qualify as prerequisites for statistics, human anatomy and physiology and medical terminology.
How to Apply
To apply to the HIHIM program, you must submit:
- HIHIM application form
- One official transcript from every college or university attended
- Statement of purpose (max. 500 words) that describes why you are interested in the HIHIM program in terms of your career goals, and includes why you think health informatics and information management are critical skills in health care
- Resume that highlights your relevant work or volunteer experience
Send the HIHIM application form, transcripts, statement of purpose and resume by priority mail to:
Health Informatics & Health Information Management
4333 Brooklyn Ave NE
Seattle, WA 98195-9455