The HIHIM program places a strong emphasis on practical experience to prepare you for your professional career.
In a culminating capstone project, you're matched with a Seattle-area health care provider, vendor or organization to gain experience in areas such as management, problem-solving, systems analysis, health information systems implementation, change management and regulatory compliance.
Sample Capstone Projects
- Disaster Preparedness and Recovery Plan – UW Records Center
- Enterprise Content Survey – UW Records Center
- Improving Patient Care and Communication Through Online Patient Portal Use – UW School of Dentistry
- Improving Patient e-Portal for Prenatal Care – MultiCare Health System
- Information Governance Toolkit for Opioid Treatment Services – Evergreen Treatment Services
- Quality Metrics in Cancer Screening – Northwest Hospital
- Reduce Recurring Record Requests in ROI – Swedish Medical Center
- Retrospective Analysis of Clinic Adherence to Patient’s End of Life Wishes – UW Pulmonary and Critical Care Medicine
UW Health Science Immunization Program (HSIP)
Upon admission to the HIHIM program, students must register in the Health Sciences Immunization Program (HSIP) to ensure compliance with the University’s affiliation agreements with clinical and practicum training sites.